Cover Photo

Cover Photo

Friday, July 19, 2013

Background: Bhutan 2012 (The Beginning of the Exchange Program)

It was one year ago that I descended into the Valley of Paro on the “Drukair” plane for the first time, initiating my two-month adventure in the Kingdom of Bhutan. The monasteries and small houses that nested within the trees beneath me dashed away from my eyes like an assortment of still images encompassing the horizon. As the plane descended gracefully onto the ground, the colossal Eastern Himalayan Mountains seemed to rise endlessly above my head, shrinking my apparent size to that of an insect. As I stepped out of the plane, the yellow letters “Nation Celebrates the Royal Wedding” greeted me, confirming my immense distance from western civilization. I felt as though I had been inserted into an alternate fantasy universe as I gazed deep into my surroundings. Upon my departure from the only airport in the country, two members of the Royal Education Council (REC) greeted me dressed formally in their Ghos, which bare a striking resemblance to the robes of the Japanese Kimono. Together we traveled 40 miles, delayed by numerous “cow traffic” dilemmas, to the capital city of Thimphu. It was there where I was able to work as an intern for the REC and tag along to numerous meetings with political officials, after which I began to formulate an understanding of how Bhutanese people view the world around them as well as how the concept of Bhutan’s “Gross National Happiness” (GNH) is incorporated into society. The ideas behind GNH are based off Buddhist principles and emphasize a non-economic approach to measuring wealth. While many aspects of GNH are specific to Bhutan, the country feels that such a system of measuring wealth should be universally accepted. The task for me as an REC intern was to discover how this idea, which Bhutan strongly identifies itself with, is tangibly translated into Bhutanese society. To me, the natural environment to answer this question was one with students my own age. As a result, I began working as a teacher’s assistant in Tashidingkha Middle Secondary School in Phunaka as well Pelkhill and YHSS in Thimphu. During my time in these schools, I could not help but notice the intrinsic differences between the students in the urban and rural schools. In the city of Thimphu, the students were far more westernized (a direct result from more exposure to the internet) and were more critical of the society in which they lived than the rural students. Beyond this, they also were more aggressive and seemed to have a romanticized conception of America. This distinction was highlighted by differing perceptions of what GNH actually means. The urban students valued economic success with greater value while the rural students valued emotional happiness and quality of life greater. Effectively, there seemed to be two contradictory conceptions of GNH. This idea suggested that increased exposure to the outside world would actually help these varying views synchronize. Beyond this, I felt that increased contact with the western world would actually help prevent the Bhutanese students from developing irrational expectations. Appropriately, the idea of creating the first student exchange program between the US and Bhutan surfaced. Now, a year later, such a program has successfully been created through the REC. This summer, I will be traveling with five students from Weston High School in Connecticut to Bhutan on July 20. During this trip, which will last a month, we will be visiting historical landmarks, traveling the country, meeting political officials, and teaching culture, music, sports, art, politics, and technology in schools. This blog will act to highlight our experiences as well as provide us with an outlet to define GNH and determine to what scale Bhutan experiences it. We will update this blog everyday with posts in order to catalogue our day-to-day work. In addition we will be posting photos and videos to make our descriptions of the country feel more tangible. Bhutan is a very unique country with very unique ideas that has managed to maintain its cultural identity amidst a period of rapid modernization. We hope that this blog manages to capture this societal characteristic. After this one-month trip has ended, we will be directing all of our attention toward raising money to pay for the Bhutanese student’s trip to the US, a daunting challenge that is absolutely essential in order to create an effective student exchange program.


No comments:

Post a Comment